Monday, October 3, 2011

Growing in awareness

Looking and gaining information in this modern era of too much information is sometimes a challenge.  Selecting the information that provides the truth is hard.   I have a quote written down on my white board by the computer as a reminder, "Rather than love, money, faith and fairness, give me truth".  Though I don't remember the source of that statement, silly me for not including the citation when I wrote it down.  The statement holds in me as significant and a guide when I gain information.  Yet to discern the subtle differences between truth and misinformation in this cyber universe presents problems to the non-wary.

I refuse to watch television as a method of gaining information any more as there is little actual non-bias information available within the broadcast media available to me.  I won't pay to watch commercials, I mean what are commercials for anyhow.  The premise of commercial advertisement was devised to cover the cost of programming, so now there are these middle-man-companies, known as providers asking exorbitant amounts of money to gain the privilege to watch commercials.  I won't go for that!  And here where I live, broadcast television is limited to one ABC channel and two PBS channels.  Even PBS is now pumping out commercials so I have quit watching TV for the most part.  Now Saturday evening for the first time since, maybe June, I did suffer through commercial television in order to watch a college football game.  The commercials are now easy for me to mentally block out as I know the propaganda agenda used to create them.

I gain information about the world through the Internet for the most part.  Democracy Now I have found as a good stepping stone in gaining information of importance. From there I have found other information sites I've come to rely on where the details can be discovered. I use sites from many global sources, sometimes using the translator program provided by Google. No Fox Snooze here, though from time to time I see a video clip here or there, which is generally used as an exhibit of their miss-information.

I found the site Occupy Wall Street.org yesterday, to my pleasure. It seems they are far more organized than I imagined. Can you imagine, a long term demonstration with a written agenda for each day! I was impressed. They even have a live stream from the Occupy Wall Street encampment. It is tremendous. It is powerful. It brings me hope that the crony nation government of corruption may be turned into a government of, for, and by, the people as it was meant to be at its inception.

Chores are calling me. Time runs short as the rains are due to start tonight. It is good, though I am not ready.

Rain drops fall to water flowers,
Tear drops fall in waking hours,
Earth and sky are calling me,
Hours fly, tiz time to see,
Hearts are broken from all the greed,
On the streets some beg and plead,
While others call for justice,
The Cops just want to bust us.
They too should find they're with the many,
Their pension plan, dollar to penny,
Stand up today.
Stand in your right.
It is a task for justice' fight,
It can't done as a couch potato,
So out the door, with words like Plato.
Keep up and join the peaceful fight. We have to win because it's right!


I think the poem above is rather corny, but it is like practice for things to come, so I do it and do it, that practice thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment